Washington School opened in
February of 1912. The school was named for George Washington by
the Orange Chapter, New Jersey Society, Sons of the American
Revolution. It was located on Sanford Street between Kenwood
Place and Elmwood Avenue. The original building shown above had
12 classrooms. In 1920, eight more rooms were added.
This photo was taken in 2009. The sign still
posted on the side of the building reads: Washington Academy of
Music, Magnet School of Merit, but by this time, the school had
closed and most of the students and teachers had moved to the
"new" Cicely Tyson School of Performing and Fine Arts, further down Elmwood Avenue, which in turn had taken
over the old Vernon L. Davey Middle School building.