100th Anniversary Celebrations of
Holy Name School and Church

1910-2010

Anniversary Celebration events from 6/6/10 to 6/6/11

In 1910, Rev. Matthew J. Farley opened the Holy Name parish school in a building on North Park Street in the section of East Orange known as Doddtown. The building had once been a combination grocery and butcher shop. For 17 years, the building served as both a church and a school for the young parish.

In 1927, a new stone church was built on the corner of Dodd Street and Midland Avenue, and a new school was built of brick on Midland Avenue. The school was staffed by the Sisters of Charity. Both buildings are still in place as of 2010, but the people occupying and using them have changed as the population of East Orange has changed over the years.

Today, Holy Name School is owned by the East Orange School District and is known as Johnnie L. Cochran, Jr. Academy of Legal Studies and Community Service. The current (2010) principal is Deborah Harvest.

At the entrance to the church, there are two bronze plaques that list the history of the church in terms of its Pastors, beginning with Reverend Farley.

The current (2010) Pastor is Reverend William G. Cook.

Church Address: 246 Dodd Street, East Orange, NJ 07017
Parish Center: 200 Midland Avenue, East Orange, NJ 07017
2ns Floor Parish Center Hours: M-F 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM ( 1:00 - 2:00 PM lunch break)
Rectory: 973-675-5901 -- Parish Center: 973-675-4444 -- Social Services: 1-800-227-7413
E-mail: (Mary Sole, secretary) eoholyname@verizon.net

Click HERE to see the Church's Stained Glass Windows and other Art.

This Web page is a work in progress. If you notice any errors or ommisions, please contact Jim Gerrish at : eohistorical@yahoo.com

Back to East Orange Interactive Timeline