Clicky

The soil was suited for growing grain and vegetables, but the many swamps and marshes in the area made farming difficult, since cattle and other livestock would frequently wander off to die in some bog.

Immigrants were constantly arriving from England and Scotland and fanned out to the mountain areas in the west. These people became known as the "Mountain Society," although technically, they still belonged to the Newark Town Meeting.

The land was soon being used for common pasturage and for the quarrying of stone with which to build houses. It was an attractive place and the population pressure forced a drawing for land in the western area of the town in 1675. The parcels in the drawing were from 20 to 40 acres in size and one of the restrictions imposed forced the owners to fence them in order to prevent common use. Colony members expanded west toward the mountains, settling what soon became known as High Street. It became apparent that even more land was needed than had been acquired in the original purchase.

In March 1678, Daniel Dod and Edward Ball were sent to survey and extend the northern line of Pasayak Towne from the Pesayak (now Passaic) River on the north to Weequahic Creek on the south; from the bay on the east to the foot of what later became known as Orange Mountain. This land was then purchased from the Winacksop and Shenacktos bands of the Lenni-Lenape. The price was "thirteen kans of rum, three coates and two guns."

While surveying the area, Daniel Dod selected a large holding near the Watsessing Plain for himself. This is believed to have been the first settlement in the Oranges. Together with his sons Daniel, Stephen, John, and Dorcas, Daniel Dod began to settle the land he had claimed in the vicinity of what is today the corner of Dodd Street and Midland Avenue *.

Rev. Abraham Pierson, pastor and leader of the community since its emigration from Connecticut, died on August 9, 1678, to be succeeded by his son and namesake.

1872 Map showing the Dodd Property * at the corner of Dodd St. and Midland Avenue and extending back towards Bloomfield.

Back to the Time Line

Further Resources of Interest on this subject:

The Dodd Family Tree

Mountain Society