The building was finished in 1908, but it was
not "officially" opened and dedicated until the
fiollowing year. On February 12, 1909, the 100th Anniversary of
President Abraham Lincoln's birth, Lincoln School was dedicated
and named. Lincoln's words, "We cannot succeed unless we
try" are carved over the entrance to the school.
In 1960, when Eastern High School was torn down
to make room for the Garden State Parkway, 18 additional rooms to
house those students were attached to Lincoln School.
In 1997, the school was renamed after Pop singer
Dionne Warwick, the Dionne Warwick Institute of Economics and
Entrepreneurship. Warwick's cousin, Whitney Houston, also had an East Orange school named after her.
We welcome any old photos of East Orange or
its schools. E-mail Jim Gerrish at [email protected]